Vella Appa Chatti, Palappam Chatti, Appam Maker - Buy Online
Top quality cast iron made Vella appa chatty or Palappa chatti is one of a unique cookware traditionally popular among the southern states of India. It has a semicircular shape with a short handle. When it's heated, the presence of handle makes it easier for the users to take away the pan. The polished inner portion is another important feature.
NatureLoC now brings out 2 varieties of appa chatti; Seasoned & Not Seasoned. People who want to order appa chatti which are already seasoned can opt for seasoned appa chatti from our website, which now saves time and work in our daily lives.
Seasoned Appa Chatti:
The best quality iron appa chatti is selected and vegetable oil is coated 2-3 times. The appa chatti are then placed in a furnace and is heated and then it is ready to use.
Method of seasoning
If you have purchased your cast iron cookware as new, then it will be coated in wax or an oil coating to prevent rust. This will need to be removed before seasoning so this step is essential. Soak in hot, soapy water for five minutes, then wash off the soap and air dry.
After Washing, slightly heat the appa chatti. Sprinkle salt on it and saute until golden brown. Switch off the heat. Once it cools, clean the appa chatti with a cloth, apply a light coating of oil and store it. This should be done when you buy a new cast iron appa chatti.
- The vessel should come out clean. If the vessel is clean enough in a day or two you can proceed with the next step.
- Heat the vessel in low flame.
- Add castor oil or any vegetable oil, say 2 to 3 tsp to it and spread it evenly to cover all over the vessel.
- Wad up a paper towel and spread the oil across the cooking surface, any bare iron surfaces, and the bottom of the cookware.
- Turn on the burner and heat until smoke starts to appear. If using an electric stove, heat slowly as hot spots can crack the cast iron.
- Cover the cookware and turn off the heat. Leave until cooled before placing in storage.
- Try to heat oil in the appa chatti after every use for a brief minute and then wipe it off until the appa chatti is seasoned.
- You should not wash your cast iron appa chatti with soap. It's abrasive. Just put some oil and heat it (repeat 2 times) and let it rest overnight.
- In the morning, heat the appa chatti, use a tissue to wipe off the oil and do appam. It should come ok. After every use, just wipe it and keep it.
- You should not wash your pan with soap after every single use. Washing with soap will take off the seasoning!
The dimensions of the Vella Appa Chatti, Palappa Chatti, Appam Maker or Appam pan is as follows,Size - 8 inch
- Weight - 1.2 kg
- Diameter - 20.9cm
- Height - 5.5 cm
- Handle Length - 4cm
Size - 9 inch
- Weight - 1.3 kg
- Diameter - 22cm
- Height - 6 cm
- Handle Length - 4cm