Upperi Kappa or Sun-dried tapioca pieces for frying - Buy Online
Upperi kappa or Sun-dried tapioca pieces are small square shaped tapioca slices. Raw tapiocas are finely sliced to get small square shaped pieces, these are then parboiled and sun dried to get ‘Upperi Kappa’ or ‘Vatta Kappa’. The sun dried tapioca slices are traditionally used for the preparation of Unakka kappa varuthathu or Traditional Dry fried tapioca chips. Coconut oil is used for frying these dried tapioca pieces. Sprinkled salt solution imparts a salty taste. Crunchy tapioca chips would go well with freshly sliced coconut pieces. Fried tapioca chips can be served as an evening snack with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
Preparation of Unakka kappa varuthathu or Traditional Dry fried tapioca chips
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan or Kadai.
- Once the oil is hot, slide in some dried tapioca pieces and fry it for some time.
- Keep turning to all sides and when it becomes crispy, attains a light brown colour, take it off from the oil and keep it on tissue papers to remove excess oil.
- Transfer it to a serving plate and sprinkle some salt for the taste. Serve it as an evening snack.
- Store it in airtight containers for later use.