Bamboo Puttu Maker, Puttu Steamer
Bamboo Puttu Kudam is one of a traditionally used cookware made of bamboo and used to cook food with the use of steam. It can be kept above the boiler (steamer, cooker) so that the food gets cooked from the hot steam. Steaming enables food materials to keep their natural flavour, colour, shape, and nutritious value better than boiling and simmering. You can place this Puttu Maker on the nozzle of a Pressure Cooker with enough water. Use the bamboo stick to push the cooked puttu from the steamer.
Components of Bamboo Puttu Maker
- A wooden bamboo tube with a stopper at one end, which keeps the food materials within the tube.
- A long bamboo stick.
- A small round shaped coin made of coconut shell.
How to use this Bamboo Puttu maker?
- Soak the Bamboo Puttu Maker (Bamboo Steamer) in water before use.
- Insert the coconut shell coin into the puttu maker and make use of the wooden stick in keeping the coin as close to the stopper.
- Now, add the food materials through the tube and place it over the boiling pot or pressure cooker.
- Once puttu is cooked, take out the puttu maker from the cooker/steamer.
- Slowly tilt it towards the plate, use the wooden stick and gently press it towards the coconut shell coin placed at the bottom just above the stopper.